Buying a bus ticket in Milton Keynes
There are many different types of bus tickets available depending on the service you use and where you live as well as your age. There are also a variety of options for paying for bus travel, you don’t have to carry cash for exact bus fares any more.
How to buy a bus ticket in MK
Bus tickets can be bought in a number of ways from various locations or even online, depending on the bus operator.
- Cash – buy a ticket from the driver when you board the bus.
- Online – visit the bus operators website to buy tickets online.
- Mobile – most websites will also work on your smart phone or tablet, so you can buy a ticket on the go.
- Use an app – some companies have an app that you can download to your smart device which will allow you purchase an e-ticket. Arriva offer an electronic m-ticket via your mobile. You can even send m-tickets to other phones.
- MKube – an information centre in CMK providing a range of services including buying tickets, bus timetables, advice and tickets for further afield.
Types of bus tickets – discounts, concessions and saver fares
Discounted or ‘concessionary fares’ are available for older people and young people and students. Buying multi-day tickets, weekly or seasonal, can also help you to save money.
PlusBus is a discounted price bus ticket which adds urban bus travel to your train ticket. Plusbus tickets are available from any rail station if purchased with a rail ticket to or from Milton Keynes Central, Bletchley or Wolverton and can be used to start your journey or to complete your journey. It’s cheaper than driving to and parking at the station or getting a taxi.
A Milton Keynes or Bletchley PLUSBUS ticket gives you unlimited bus travel on participating operators’ services, around the urban area of Milton Keynes, Bletchley & Wolverton, as shown by the travel maps on the PlusBus website.
All in 1 MK Card
The All in 1 MK card is available to ALL under 19s permanently resident in Milton Keynes, even those no longer in full or part time education. All in 1 card holders can travel on buses for just £1 per trip.
To find out more, apply for a card and see which services the card is valid on, take a look at the All in 1 MK Card page.
Older person’s bus pass
Holders of an Older Person’s Bus Pass are entitled to free off-peak travel on local buses anywhere in England. You can find out how to apply for an older person’s bus pass and read more eligibility information here.
Disabled person’s bus pass
Holders of a Disabled Person’s Bus Pass are entitled to free off-peak travel on local buses anywhere in England. Find more eligibility information and apply for or renew your disabled person’s bus pass on the council’s web page.
MK Moove – freedom to travel with more than one operator
MK Moove tickets can be used on most buses in Milton Keynes:
- 1-day Ticket: £5.20 (available to purchase on buses)
- 7-day Ticket: £20.00 (available to purchase on buses and at MKube)
- 4-week Ticket: £60.00 (available to purchase from MKube only)
Ticket prices correct as of 1 April 2018 and may be subject to change.
Available and valid on all bus services within Milton Keynes operated by Arriva, Stagecoach (not service X5), Centrebus, Redline Buses, Red Rose Travel, University Bus, Vale Travel and Z&S Transport. Not available on services to/from special events. For onward travel to destinations in other local authorities an additional fare will be payable. Please contact the relevant operator for further details.
Visit MKube in Central Milton Keynes for help with any of the following:
- Buy local bus tickets
- Book national express tickets including airport services and European destinations
- Pick up bus, coach and timetables
- Pick up inspiring leaflets for days out in the area
- Book tickets for The Original London Sightseeing Tour
- Advice on bus travel
- Bulk purchase of tickets for companies/organisations
Address: 82 Midsummer Place, Central Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, MK9 3GA
Tel: 01908 394662
For single fare ticket prices and other fare queries please contact the operator of your journey.