Milton Keynes Council Transport Policy Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice for Transport Policy needs to be read in conjunction with Milton Keynes’s Corporate Privacy Notice. For more information click here: www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/privacy
Everything we do with information about people, such as how we collect it and who we share it with, has to comply with Data Protection. A key part of this is being open about how we use information and what rights you have in respect of the information we hold about you.
The Transport Policy Team for Milton Keynes Council is committed to preserving your privacy. If anything in this notice is not clear, or if you have further queries, please get in contact with the Data Protection Officer using the details at the bottom of the page.
How we may collect information
This privacy notice explains why we obtain, store and process data that can identify you and describes our practices in connection with the information that we collect.
We obtain information about you when you use our website or services, including but not limited to;
- When you contact us about a service or have an enquiry,
- If you register to receive further information about our services
- If you register to use one of our services
- When we engage with you through any of our social media platforms
- When we meet you in person or
- Correspond with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise.
Information held about you:
In order to provide services, it is necessary for us to collect and hold personal information about you. The information held will vary and depend on the nature of the services ‘used’.
Examples of when we collect personal information are:
- Cycle Training
- Via the Get Smarter Travel MK website
- See sense light trial
- Rental of cycle lockers and facilities
- Travel surveys, such as Empower, Travel Plans, Modeshift STARs
- Through initiatives such as Love to Ride, Ride Report
- Card payments for services, such as cycle training, cycle lockers and facilities
- Bike registration
This information may include:
- Basic details about you such as name, address, telephone number, email address, medications or allergies
- Contact we have had with you, such as any emails or letters
- Direct debit details, if you pay for an ongoing service
- Images of you whilst at an event, ride or during cycle training
- Information about the way that you travel
Why do we gather this information?
We believe that all the information we gather about you is for a legitimate reason. It helps us to serve and engage with you regarding opportunities that may be of benefit or interest to you.
Who is processing my data and how will we use the information we hold about you?
|Data Controller||How will your information be used?|
|Milton Keynes Council||· To communicate with you about our services
· For the provision of services that we provide
· For in-house research and statistical analysis
· To notify you about changes to our services
· To help inform Council policy
· Providing that you have given to us the necessary consent, to provide you with information through our newsletter or other electronic bulletins.
· To gather information about the way that people travel so that Milton Keynes Council can allocate time and money to the areas that most need it.
|See Sense (Light Trial)
The Open University
|· Data will be stored on the MK Data Hub, a data management facility created by the MK:Smart project as a collaboration between Milton Keynes Council and the Open University for the purpose of the Trial.
· The Partners involved reserve the right to also use this data in an anonymised form for research purposes.
|Ride Report||· To gather information about the way you travel so that Milton Keynes Council can allocate time and money to the areas that most need it.
|Bike Register||· Hold your details on their database, which is used by every Police Force in the UK to search for stolen and recovered bikes.
Who else has access to your information?
- We will not sell or rent your information to third parties.
- We will not share your information with third parties for marketing purposes.
- Although through the normal course of business it may be necessary or beneficial to you that we introduce you to third parties, we would never give your details to a third party without your prior consent.
- In the normal course of business we would share your details without asking for your consent with internal Milton Keynes Council departments if we felt this was either beneficial to you, required to provide a service, or would improve the delivery of our services.
How long do we keep your information for?
We only keep information for as long as it is needed. This will be based on either a legal requirement (where a law says we have to keep information for a specific period of time) or accepted business practice, this is generally 6 years. All information will be held securely and destroyed under confidential conditions.
How we store your information
We place great importance on the security of all information provided to us.
Information that is held by Milton Keynes Council is held securely on our own servers which are also compliant with IT security requirements.
A different cookie is used for each website, and visitors are not tracked across multiple sites. The information generated by the cookie about your use of the website (including IP address) is transmitted to Google. This information may then be used to evaluate visitors’ use of the website and to compile statistical reports on website activity for Milton Keynes Get Smarter Travel. To disable this type of cookie, some browsers will indicate when a cookie is being sent and allow you to decline cookies on a case-by-case basis. In addition to declining cookies, you can also install the Google Analytics Opt-out Add-on in your browser, which prevents Google Analytics from collecting information about your website visits.
We will never (and will not allow any third party to) use the statistical analytics tool to track or to collect any Personally Identifiable Information (PII) of visitors to our site. Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google. Neither we nor Google will link, or seek to link, an IP address with the identity of a computer user. We will not associate any data gathered from this site with any Personally Identifiable Information from any source, unless you explicitly submit that information via a fill-in form on our website.
What rights you have
You have various rights around the data we hold about you.
- Right of access (to receive a copy of your personal data)
- Right to rectification (to request data is corrected inaccurate)
- Right to erasure (to request that data is deleted)
- Right to restrict processing (to request we don’t use your data in a certain way)
- Right to data portability (in some cases, you can ask to receive a copy of your data in a commonly-used electronic format so that it can be given to someone else)
- Right to object (generally to make a complaint about any aspect of our use of your data)
- Right to have explained if there will be any automated decision-making, including profiling, based on your data and for the logic behind this to be explained to you.
Any such request can be submitted to the Data Protection Officer. Whether we can agree to your request will depend on the specific circumstances and if we cannot then we will explain the reasons why.
If we are processing your information based on you giving us your explicit consent to do so, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Doing so may mean we are unable to provide the service you are hoping to receive and the implications of you giving or withdrawing your consent will be explained at the time.
If you are unhappy with any aspect of how your information has been collected and/or used, you can make a complaint to our Data Protection Officer. You can also report concerns to the national regulator, the Information Commissioner’s Office. Their details can be found on their website:
Data Protection Officer Contact Details
Tel. No: 01908 254767
Post: Data Protection, Milton Keynes Council, 1 Saxon Gate East, Central Milton Keynes, MK9 3HS